“Children who attend a sound early childhood program perform better on standardized tests throughout their education. They are better prepared with the social skillls and emotional control needed to focus and learn in a structured learning environment, so they are more likely to succeed in school.”
— Early Years Study, author Kerry McCuaig
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Kindergarten Enhancement is a 1/2 day program which runs in conjunction with the 1/2 day Kindergarten program. This enables Kindergarten children to stay at school for the lunch hour and the duration of the regular school day. If you require care for your child outside of the regular school day hours, you may combine the Kindergarten Enhancement program with our Out of School Care program to extend the day.
WHY Kindergarten enhancement?
We provide a quality and convenient child care program for 1/2 day Kindergarten children to address child care needs for busy parents. The Kindergarten Enhancement program has a curriculum which fosters learning and works in conjunction with your child's Kindergarten class. Our Kindergarten Enhancement program supports “Learning through Play”. The program incorporates the best balance of both teacher facilitated thematic programming and open ended child-led opportunities. The program also recognizes early literacy as the foundation to all learning and incorporates early literacy whenever possible into the day to day programming. Kindergarten Enhancement is a well-balanced program which addresses all areas of a child's growth; social, emotional, physical and cognitive.
Nurture emergent literacy by encouraging interest in reading and writing.
- Our program stimulates your child in the areas of social, emotional, intellectual, physical and creative growth.
- We are strong supporters of the importance of Early Literacy.
- Children are provided opportunity for fine motor skills development.
- Our program is enhanced through partnership with outside providers, off-site trips, and in-class presenters.
Explore our child centered environment.
- We adhere to the philosophy of "Learning Through Play", and provide opportunities which are fun, open ended and educational while keeping your child engaged and stimulated.
- Our class rooms have wonderfully equipped centers that the children may rotate through as they choose during "Center Time".
- Ample opportunities for interaction with peers and teachers help to develop positive relationships.
The Best of Both Worlds: Thematic & Open Ended Programming
"Learning Through Play" is an important part of our philosophy, enhanced with an educational component as we prepare children for the next step of their educational journey. Program Teachers plan thematically, but also take children's interests into consideration throughout the planning process. Our early literacy focus recognizes the fact that literacy is the basis for all learning. The program stimulates all areas of a child's growth and development.
Our well equipped classrooms allow children to explore the following centers:
puzzles, paint easel, manipulatives, toy shelves, reading centre, computer station, science table, puppet play, playdough, large and small blocks, art & craft station, housekeeping, sand, water.
Learning opportunities integrate Reading Readiness, Math Readiness, Social Studies, Science, and Social Skills.
The program also provides opportunities for large motor movement, field trips and special in-class visitors, and may include Spanish, yoga and dance.
OFF-SITE TRIPS AND IN-CLASS PRESENTATIONS
Throughout the year, the children may benefit from both off-site trips and special in-class presentations which enhance the children's educational experience.
Examples of off-site trips: Telus Spark Science Centre/Creative Kids Museum, Butterfield Acres Farm, Calgary Zoo, Calgary Corn Maze, Bow Valley Habitat, Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and the local library.
Examples of in-class visitors: Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, Mad Science, Butterfly Wings ‘n Wishes, Dance, Yoga, Music with Tune-Ah, Spanish lessons (and more!).
Morning Kindergarten children will attend our PM Kindergarten Enhancement class.
Afternoon Kindergarten children will attend our AM Kindergarten Enhancement class.
Lunch care supervision is included. Parents provide their child's lunch. Children will be supervised and transferred between Kindergarten and Kindergarten Enhancement. Program staff will pick children up from the bus, or take them to the bus, as needed.
A typical daily routine in our classes involves:
- Circle Time(s)
- Center Time
- Snack Time (parents provide the snack)
- Large Motor Movement - either in the gym, outside or through the use of action songs
- Specialty Activity - yoga, spanish, dance, music, group games, program enrichment presentation
Registration for the 2016-2017 school year is on-going and space is available at all locations.
Registration requirements for the Kindergarten Enhancement program are as follows:
- The Kindergarten Enhancement program is for children who have confirmed registration in Kindergarten at one of our participating locations. This is the only requirement for your child to attend our program.
Please click on the location of your choice below and fill out the enquiry form. The Registrar will contact you with confirmation and instructions on how to complete your child's registration.